Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: outdoor clerk?

Junior Member Trainee Solicitor

Default outdoor clerk?

just received an email from my old boss saying he could take me as an outdoor clerk. I have no idea what that means, other than the court attendances, which would be great. Please let me know if you know what the role involves, as I don't really want to sound incompetent (which I blatantly am lol) .. cheers guys[/i]

Senior Member Junior Partner

Depends if it's civil or criminal.

Criminal could involve dealing directly with clients, whereas civil is more likely to involve filing documents at Court.

This is in addition to attending hearings and taking detailed notes.

It's criminal. I did enjoy the court attendances so it should be a fun job, and it would look good on my CV (finally something more than just the normal 1-2 week placements). Thanks for the advice

Miglena

I have heard good things about outdoor clerking and have also heard that a number of people have got training contracts through this!

Senior Member Junior Partner

Well done by the way! Nice to see that it has paid off for you. Hope you enjoy it, I have heard good things about outdoor clerking too and you will be able to get great hand's on experience.

Quote Originally Posted by ashleigh
    Well done by the way! Nice to see that it has paid off for you. Hope you enjoy it, I have heard good things about outdoor clerking too and you will be able to get great hand's on experience.
    spoke to him this morning, he told me to call him nearer the time (at the end of may) ... arghhh the waiting ... It will be really cool if it happens. And thanks for your help with the letter! xx

bnoc

I just posted about http://www.theclerkpool.co.uk elsewhere on here, they'd be able to give the info you're after.

Hey, thanks for the pointer! I received a letter yesterday from my old boss that I'm now officially on their outdoors clerks list!

It's thanks to the placement I did with them, so if I can give anyone advice, it would be that - do as many placements as you can, as there are always opportunities after the placement, and who knows, possibly even a training contract ... I say that, not even having been assigned my first job yet. Oh well.. you have to appreciate the small victories in life too hehe

xx

bnoc

Great stuff, well done! I worked as an Outdoor Clerk for a couple of years during my studies and holidays and its great.

The only issue is that the nature of being an 'Outdoor' Clerk is that you aren't a an employee of the firm and they aren't necessarily going to have 5 days work for you each week.

My best advice to you is to get on the list of as many firms as possible then you can be sure to be busy all the time.

Good luck!

Yeah I know, it's great, and the occasional work sort of suits me at the moment, as I have another job as well Did that experience do anything for you? Have they said anything about a training contract? I am sort of hoping that if I keep in touch with them, etc I might one day speak to the boss and ask him for a training contract, if there's nothing better on the scene. But anyway, that's way ahead..

xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information