Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Junior Member Paralegal

Default Getting a Traineeship?

Hi,

I'm in my first year at University studying Law. I'm really worried about getting a traineeship...is it really as difficult as people say? I'm hoping to come out of University with a 2.1 or a 1st, but I'm really worrying that I'll not get a traineeship anywhere and never become a solicitor! Do a large percentage of graduates end up never getting a traineeship?!

Thanks to all answers.

Junior Member Trainee Solicitor

It is really difficult yes. I read a horrifying statistic recently (cant find the link at the mo) which stated that nearly 2 thirds of LPC graduates do not get a training contract! This is a disgraceful situation given the amount of money graduates are encouraged to spend undertaking the course.

I would complete the degree you are doing and then consider long and hard whether it is worthwhile doing the LPC. I would say there is not much worth in worrying about a training contract in your first year at uni! Plus you need to bear in mind that the economic climate will be totally different when you graduate which may mean it is easier to get a tc than it is at the moment

Del
    Senior Member Managing Partner

you have to be in it to win it, you may get a training contract, you may not.

So, it's up to you whether you want to roll the dice and go on to do the LPC.
    He who dares, wins

Member Assistant Solicitor

Quote Originally Posted by Redking83 View Post
    It is really difficult yes. I read a horrifying statistic recently (cant find the link at the mo) which stated that nearly 2 thirds of LPC graduates do not get a training contract! This is a disgraceful situation given the amount of money graduates are encouraged to spend undertaking the course.
    I think this statistic is misleading. Although 2/3 of LPC graduates may not get a training contract during their LPC or immediately after, a lot of LPC graduates then go on to find training contract after a year or two of paralegalling or other legal experience.

I obtained this quote from the College of Law: 'In 2006-7, there were 6012 training contracts registered with the Law Society while the number of first time passes on the LPC, in July 2007, was around 6,000. '

Also, I don't think people are 'encouraged' to spend money on the LPC. I've paid my own course fees because I knew that I wanted to be a solicitor, not because some external source was 'encouraging' me to do so.

Member Assistant Solicitor

Perhaps it may be worthwhile for the OP to look at my overly negative post entitled "is it all worth it?" With everything its good to have look at a balanced argument (i'm not suggesting for one minute that my thread is balanced, but it highlights how the problems don't end, only begin, when you get a TC) and making the judgement call (because it is just that) for yourself.

Of course, many first year law students do not go on to be solicitors because they use their degree to pursue alternate careers.

All the best. I'm sure most Trainees or otherwise would be happy to answer any specific queries. God knows I got a lot of help from older folk when I was a student!

Make no mistake it is extremely hard to find a TC so think very carefully when you come to your application for the LPC.

Apply for TCs in your 2nd year and hope that the firm will pay for your LPC otherwise it could be a very costly error.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    I'm in my first year at University studying Law.

I'm worried about getting a training contract. Is it really as difficult as people say?

I'm hoping to come out of University with a 2.1 or a 1st, but I'm really worrying that I'll not get a training contract anywhere and never become a solicitor!

Do a large percentage of graduates end up never getting a training contract
    It is extremely difficult to get a TC especially form a large city or regional firm and not much easier with what people deem high street firms. And so it should be! You do not seriously think that you spend your time excelling and training your brain to the utmost just to sit and vegetate for the rest of your days?

As far as hoping for a 2.1 goes, i would suggest that you shit in one hand and hope in the other and see which hand fills up faster! It is not a case of hoping, it is a case of doing the reading, understanding the reading asking questions when you do not understand, even if you feel like a muppet and getting top marks.

Further than that, you need experience on your cv now. 12 months ago would have been a better time to start getting it. Formal City Vacation placements, helping out smaller firms over the summer, Citizens advice, the free representation unit, Liberty, Inquest you can approach all these to do a bit of legal work experience.

A large percentage probably do fail to become a solicitor, a large percentage also can't hack it when they make it and drop out BUT there is still and will remain strong demand for good graduates who work hard and are good lawyers.

If you are still unclear I suggest you heed the words of the deeply infuriating but consistently right Dan Hull.

What About Clients?

Amelie80

I've read that the statistics are far gloomier than previosuly thought.

Apparently, if you embark on a law degree and LPC, your chances of becoming a solicitor are less than 50%. I quite believe that.

Del

at least there's the comforting thought you can get ****** without prescription
    He who dares, wins

Quote Originally Posted by Amelie80 View Post
    I've read that the statistics are far gloomier than previosuly thought.

Apparently, if you embark on a law degree and LPC, your chances of becoming a solicitor are less than 50%. I quite believe that.
    Hi there, where did you get these figures from? I'd be interested to know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information