bnoc

Default Police Station Accreditation

Has anyone here completed the PSRAS? I'm doing it at the moment but can't afford the written exam course that is on offer, has anybody got course notes/passed papers etc or even just an experienced eye on the exam itself?

Member Senior Associate Solicitor

bnoc, I thought you were on the lpc, are you doing the police station accredation thing at the same time? I was just wondering about the possibility of me doing that as Im on the lpc and I want to go into criminal law. But I cant really see how I could do it without having studied advanced criminal practice first.

Senior Member Equity Partner

I know someone who did most of it before the LPC - you can definitely do it now.

Senior Member Senior Associate Solicitor

It looks REALLY REALLY good too! Obv you need to find a firm to supervise but looks so good that you have made the effort to do it off your own back, and at your own expense!

bnoc

It certainly can be done during the LPC and it is indeed really good, bringing it back to my original post though has anybody got any notes/past papers from having sat the written exam?

petej2811

Default Police Station Accreditation

I have started mine.

I sat the exam at Cardiff University, the whole course, start to finish costs 420 and the includes registration. They let me pay for it in bits, which was nice of them

The exam is not particularly difficult. If you sat and passed Crime at degree level then you'll find the exam none too difficult.

There is a superb book you can get to study for it - Defendaing Suspects At Police Stations by Ed Cape. Cardiff allowed me to take in my marked and tabbed text into the exam with me. It is a lot of work to do in a short space of time in the exam. Don't let yourself get stuck on low mark value questions for a period of time while higher marks are on offer for others.

I sat the exam while doing my Crime module and having worked as a police officer so a relatively weak academic position as regards offences but a strong procedural grounding in PACE. If you're au fait with offences after your crime module then Cape will give you a very thorough practical working knowledge of PACE and station procedure. It's not as dry a read as many law texts I have read and it explains things in very clear and practial language.

Getting a supervising solicitor is a bit of a catch 22. I've approached local firms and got two to agree to help me, however they are dragging and I'm telpted to write to or approach other firms to kick start it so I can get my PIN.

My advice to you is fork out the 200 deposit for Cardiff (they are apparently generous markers for the portfolio so worth considering over other providers) and then approach some local firms. I went to see them without an appointment. The two firms I approached directly both said they'd be willing to help but I think it was thanks in no small part to the conversations that I had. It would just be nice now if the arrangements could get into place so I could actually do it.

Hope that helps.

PeteJ

Thread Information